Sunday 18 November 2012


Joy!  

This is where my blog ended last time, with joy!, joy!, joy!  It seems that this is becoming a more normal part of my life lately.  I've more often than not been a glass half-empty type of personality.  Something has happened in my spirit that has changed me from the inside out.  It's been a long process.  I know some people change overnight, no matter how gigantic the transformation has been, and I praise God for those lives that give witness to the world how miraculous our God is.  For it's not only the stupendous physical healings and spiritual rebirths that change people, but also the quieter and in some ways deeper miracles of changed minds and personalities.
Although I know God has been working in me all my life, I think this change began in me when I found the writings of Ann Voskamp and in particular her 'Joy Dare'.  Since the beginning of January, I have been encouraged to write down 3 things each day for which I am thankful, totalling 1,000 gifts for the whole year.  When 2012 began, I was working in a temporary part-time job after being unemployed for 7 months, living in my daughter and son-in-law's home, with most of my life seeming to be waiting along with my physical 'stuff' languishing in expensive storage.  Applications, travelling hundreds of miles to interviews, praying, being prayed for, all drew blanks.  Heaven was silent.  But during this time, God taught me to be thankful for the simple things, the good things and the hard things.  He began to change my heart and my mind and my attitude.  This was the greatest miracle of all!
So, as I was driving to the job God has wonderfully provided for me, and where I love to go every day, one beautiful morning this past week, the sun was gently shooting its rising rays into a shimmering blue sky from behind clouds so delicately pink, my heart was fairly bursting with JOY!  Worshiping the God Who heals and saves and transforms, and who creates such beauty is my first automatic reaction now.  I know hard times are not over, but He has put me exactly where He wants me for now, and I know without a doubt that He holds my hand and fills me with His Spirit daily, hourly, minute by minute.
 
 
 
 
This morning my wonderful pastor brought us a message about getting rid of the slavery mentality that the Israelites had when God said it was time to go in and take possession of the Promised Land.  Caleb and Joshua were ready, but the other 10 spies convinced the people that they could not do it, despite God's promises that the land was theirs.  They would not trust God and His Word enough to step out in faith and take their inheritance in Him.  The mists of the past were still clouding their minds, choking any possibilities of positive thoughts getting through.  Those pink clouds and blue morning skies this past week were only part of the beauty of the morning as the mists curled gently through the fields.  It occurs to me now that if I were to keep looking down at the mists, I would miss the beauty of the sun breaking through the clouds and bringing the light of thanksgiving and worship into my life and my world.  Our pastor encouraged us to believe God, accept His power to break us out of the chains which held us in that slavery mentality, to trust Him and step out in faith into what He has planned for us to do for His Kingdom.  If only the Israelites could have believed God and moved out into His promises for them, they might have experienced what I am just beginning to learn now: God takes us one step at a time, and He prepares the way before we take the second step.  In the words of Mark Hall of Casting Crowns, "When I'm lost in the mystery, to You my future is a memory, 'cause You're already there!"
Thank You, Lord, that You have such an amazing journey planned for us, and all we have to do is trust You one step at a time, and thank You for each moment of the life You give.  For You are worthy of all the praise and all the glory.  Fill us daily with Your Spirit as we continually rejoice in You!!!
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I love this! Wonderful. Lord, give us eyes to see and ears to hear.
    He is all around, all the time, if only we notice.
    Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Helen! I appreciate your comment. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete